Renal Nutrition Workshop
Sue Scharf RD(SA) and Tanya Alberts RD(SA) present a comprehensive, up-to-date, workshop, covering all aspects of nutrition and kidney disease.
Part 1: Sue Scharf & Tanya Alberts
- Structure and basic functions of the kidney
- Definition and detection of kidney damage and kidney failure: KDIGO Guidelines
- Staging of CKD
- Risk factors for CKD
- Outcomes for CKD
- South Africa’s Renal Registry
- The African scenario
- Indications for Peritoneal Dialysis vs Haemodialysis
- Exclusion criteria for dialysis in the public sector in SA
- The dietician’s role in prevention and treatment of renal patients
Part 2: Sue Scharf & Tanya Alberts
- Haemodialysis (HD) case study of newly diagnosed HD patient:
- Laboratory values of importance in the treatment of CKD patients
- Barriers and how to overcome them
- Implementing the 5-step nutritional care plan for newly diagnosed HD patients
- Step 1: How the kidneys work
- Step 2: What foods are eaten daily and algorithms
- Gut-Renal axis
- Step 3: What to eat
- Step 4: What not to eat
- Step 5: How much to eat
Part 3: Sue Scharf & Tanya Alberts
- A conservative treatment case study
- Dietary prescription and sample menu
- Dietary treatment of the Diabetic Renal Patient
- Case Study
- Recipe modification for renal patients
- New technologies on the horizon for transplant patients
Sue Scharf has a special interest in Renal Nutrition and has a wealth of knowledge to share with fellow dieticians. Sue has worked extensively with Cecile Verseput. Cecile has developed a number of Patient Education Tools which are available to purchase at the workshop.
A WORKSHOP NEAR YOU
All of our workshops are available to be presented anywhere in South Africa, including smaller towns.
Please contact us if you have a group of dieticians who are interested in attending one of our workshops in your area.
- Cancellation 1 month prior to the workshop will entitle you to a full refund
- Cancellation within 1 month of the workshop will entitle you to an 80% refund
- Cancellation in the last week will entitle you to a 50% refund
- Cancellation 24 hours before or on the day of the workshop will mean that no refunds will be given.
- Should DAW cancel a workshop due to unforeseen circumstances, a full refund will then be payable to delegates who have already paid.