Love your beans!
The theme for National Nutrition Week 2016 is “Love your beans.” It is not only beans that we are focusing, but all legumes.
- Split peas
- All beans: green beans, baked beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, butter beans and sugar beans
Why should you eat beans?
- Beans contain protein
- Beans are low in fat
- Beans are low in sodium
- Beans are cholesterol-free
- Beans contain plenty of fibre
Health benefits of beans:
The fibre in beans:
- Helps to prevent or improve constipation
- Protects against heart disease
- Helps to control blood sugar levels
- Keeps you feeling fuller for longer
- Helps to improve the immune system
How to use beans:
- Tinned beans are easy to use – drain, rinse and use!
- Dried lentils cook quickly – boil them in water for 20 minutes.
- Chickpeas can be used in stews, pasta dishes and salads.
- Baked beans on toast.
- Beans and lentils can be added to: stews, casseroles, curries, mince dishes, soups, stir-fries and salads.